Search Engines o
How to get rid of Junk mail
- AllPages.com business directory.
- Americadex is a fee-based lookup service.
- Anywho - AT&T's people and business lookup. Also a reverse number lookup.
- Bigfoot has a large database of e-mail addresses as well as yellow pages.
- Crimetime Black Book Online - reverse phone lookup, bank records, state and federal records, skip trace.
- C|Net Search - look up just about everything.
- FindLaw has a reverse phone and address lookup facility.
- Freeality - reverse phone and address lookup facility.
find what city a given phone number or area code is in (USA and Canada).
Americom also offers reverse area code lookup.
- Google reverse phone number lookup - enter a phone number with dashes in the Google search prompt. Google will return the address and map with a phone icon next to the entry.
- ICQ.com interpersonal chat / instant messaging.
- InfoUSA includes reverse number lookup.
- Knowx.com provides instant access to comprehensive public record information at a low cost.
look up someone from public records with just a first name and age. This is a fee-based service. There has been at least one complaint about timeliness and refunding of service fees.
- Nonpub - get non-published phone information for a fee.
- Phone Bust - fee-based lookup of phone information, social security information, records check.
- Reverse Directory - reverse personal and business phone number lookup.
- Switchboard lets you search for businesses and people.
- US Search searches public information on people.
- WhoWhere (Lycos):
Find someone's e-mail address, real address, or phone number.
- Yahoo people search (formerly '411').
Comprehensive search capability - lookup
addresses, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, and home pages.
- www.555-1212.com is a fee-based home and business lookup service.
- PublicData.com is a fee-based research service.
Meta search engines submit your query to several search engines at once:
Basic Search Engines
- Copernic - highly effective, eliminates duplicate responses.
- Debriefing - good, eliminates duplicates.
- Dogpile - a good basic multi-engine search tool, but does not eliminate duplicates.
- Highway 61 - provides good results.
- ixquick - comprehensive; eliminates duplicates and porn sites.
- iWon - great advanced search features, voted "best of the web".
- Mamma - average
- MetACrawler - excellent; use for searches of web page meta tags.
- Metahoo - meta search with no ads.
- ProFusion - average results, excellent search control.
- SavvySearch - provides good quality results, but is harder to control.
Search Engine Selectors
Extended Search Engines
Search Engine Reports and Forums
- AllTheWeb - a fast engine
- AltaVista - highly rated. Also searches newsgroups. Good database; good for general searches but can return a long list of results.
- Business.com - business search engine.
- Galaxy - average.
- GoTo - simple, easy interface.
- Google - excellent at finding what you are looking for.
- Google Groups (formerly DejaNews) - excellent newsgroup search engine.
- Google Scholar - to find research articles, books, preprints, abstracts and technical reports.
- Hotbot - narrows your search better than most engines. Excellent querying and filtering capabilities.
- JoeAnt - directory.
- Lycos - average, good for simple searches; great for MP3's.
- LookSmart - average.
- NewKnows - comprehensive "how-to" site.
- NewHoo - average.
- Reference.com - searches newsgroups and email discussion lists.
- Turbo10 - performs extensive searches.
- Web Crawler - average, good for simple searches.
- WorldLight - directory.
- Yahoo - highly rated, with an excellent catalog. Good for general queries.
- Zeal - owned by LookSmart.
- Ask Jeeves is a very effective reference database that lets you submit queries in natural language.
- About.com is a network of sites led by expert guides.
- Call Forwarding Database.
- DNS Stuff - DNS lookup and more.
- EcoFuture environmental
- Fast Area Code Lookup,
plus white yellow, and blue pages (government) lookup, and toll free directory.
- Forum One finds web discussion forums.
- Infospace - find people, places and things.
- Internet Address Finder
- In Search Of... quite comprehensive, including science links.
- KnowX - search public records, subscription required.
- Library of Congress list of Internet search tools.
- My Virtual Reference desk.
- Needle in a CyberStack - the Info Finder with many research links, directories, search engines and multi-search engines.
- OneLook Dictionaries database.
Dozens of online dictionaries.
- Open Directory project provides a comprehensive directory of the web.
See World Yellow Pages to find out more).
- Research-it -
spelling, thesaurus, translation, shipping services, library, geographical, financial, internet.
- Search America - comprehensive, but fee-based.
- SoftCrawler searches for free software and shareware.
- The List lets you search for Internet Service Providers.
- U.S. national archives
- USA Cops index of law enforcement agencies.
- Virtual Reference Collection, Brown University is an extremely useful source for reference materials and information such as Dictionaries and Thesauri, Directories, Phonebooks, Encylopedias, Government Info., Grants, Statistics, and Travel.
- Virtual Sites (including links to webcams).
- What can you do on the World Wide Web an amazing collection of reference material.
- Weather Underground weather reports.
- Westminster has a U.S. and Canadian zipcode lookup facility.
If you want to maintain your privacy, see how to get off
telemarketing, spam, and e-mail lists.
You can use these
on Internet Search Engines to have your name removed from search databases.
How to get rid of Junk mail